header_montage_1

KÜMBET

Kumbet2If visiting the Phrygian site of Midas Şehri it's well worth diverting 18km west to drowsy little Kümbet.

The village is named after the Selçuk Kümbet Dede Tekkesi, a tomb rather than a tekke (dervish lodge) despite the name, which was built using materials from much older Byzantine structures, perhaps from the lost town of Metropolis (not to be confused with Metropolis at Torbalı). Its conical roof is habitually topped off with a ramshackle storks' nest. Kumbet3

Kümbet village only dates back to 1799 when it was apparently established by a derebey (local lord) called Yarımağa. Of his home the most conspicuous remnant is a very Cappadocian-style rock-cut chimney.

The house was built above the fine Arslan Kaplan Kumbeti (Lion and Tiger Tomb) which was originally carved out by the Phrygians and then later reused by the Romans. The facade is carved with the images of two impressive lions (Phrygian) with, above them, two eagles one on either side of a shield (Roman). The structure is sometimes called the Tomb of Solon because a Greek inscription, also on the facade, mentions Solon. 

Kumbet1Transport info

You will need a private car to get to Kümbet. Kumbet4

Events Calendar

August 2020
S M T W T F S
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31 1 2 3 4 5

Exchange Rates

Weather